How To Choose the Right Joiner
How can you choose the best joiner from the South Queensferry, Edinburgh area? What actually does a joiner do? When should you hire a joiner? If you are looking to get a professional job done it’s essential then that you know the answer to these questions.
What is a joiner?
Actually the clue is in the name – he joins pieces of wood together. This might sound obvious, but the skill developed so that those making furniture and items from wood didn’t have to use nails. But would use mortise and tenon joints to construct the items. This was one of the most difficult trades to master.
Nowadays there are power tools to do just about everything and those traditional types of joinery skills aren’t so necessary. There used to be a distinction between a joiner and a carpenter, but this has become now somewhat blurred.
Why Hire a Joiner?
If you are needing any kind of wood item constructed, the a joiner is the tradesman you need – anything from making custom-built furniture to setting up IKEA flat-packed cabinets. A modern joiner who is a professional in his trade should be able to do the following:
- Install all parts of a kitchen – this includes the units, work tops and cabinets. (Not plumbing or electrical works)
- Do bathroom renovations
- Build custom-designed furniture and storage items
- Fit out commercial offices and rooms.
You may be thinking that there’s nothing much to setting up flatpacks – and that is true. But if you are tackling a more demanding job – like a kitchen, then a joiner is needed. It’s good to remember that saving money in the short term can sometime cost you more in the long run. Also a joiner will have many specalised tools – buying those can be very expensive and trying to work without the proper tools is time consuming and frustrating. A professional joiner will also have years of experience.
Advantages of Hiring a Professional Joiner
- A professional joiner has the skills to come up with practical solutions to difficult problems. Unless you have lots of DIY experience, this could be a great advantage.
- Working with wood can be dangerous. Power drills, circular saws and even the humble hammer can cause injury.
- A professional joiner will have contacts in the trade. So he can be a great source for getting other tradesmen like painters and decorators to complete your project.
- He can usually purchase materials in bulk – hopefully passing on those savings to you.
- He will have the necessary tools.
Finding the Right Joiner
Recommendation from a friend. Start asking around your friends and neighbours. You can get valuable information on the joiner’s work and you can check out his work.
Listing in a Trade Organisation. For example, the Federation of Master Builders. Here you can find local joiners in the South Queensferry and Edinburgh area. This might work out more expensive, but there are certain guarantees if you go through them to find your local joiner.
The Best Right Joiner from South Queensferry
If you stick with these tips on finding the right joiner you will be get a great job done. You will usually get what you pay for, so don’t always go with the cheapest joiner. Also, hiring a joiner to repair your own mistakes can work out more expensive also.
If you want to find more tips on how to find local tradesmen for get a professional job done, the please visit Queensferry.net. There are top tips on finding painters, plumbers, joiners and other professionals. These are not just for the South Queensferry area, but the tips given are useful wherever you live.