How to Choose the Right Painter and Decorator
Does the idea of having to hire a painter and decorator get you into a state of panic? Where can you find the best painter and decorator in the South Queensferry, Edinbrugh area? (For the painter and decorator recommended by Queensferry.net, then please click the link.)
It has to be said that this is one of the most important parts of a nice house. The painting and decorating is, after all, what most people are going see. A good painter and decorator will give any room in your house that WOW! factor.
How to Choose The Best Painter and Decorator?
Any good professional painters and decorator will offer a range of services. This will include:
- Painting (both interior and exterior surfaces)
- Hanging wall coverings
- Treating wood surfaces (varnishing, staining etc)
- Carrying out minor repairs.
Of course, you may start thinking first of all that you can save a lot of money by doing the painting and decorating yourself. However, painting a room isn’t as simple as slapping on a coat of paint, or sticking some wallpaper up.
Why You Should Choose A Professional Painter & Decorator
First of all the money you save in doing it yourself doesn’t always pay off in the long run. Here is what you get with a professional decorator:
- More efficient job
- Better job
- He has all the necessary tools (thus a saving for you)
- He knows how to tackle difficult jobs
How Do I Choose a Painter and Decorator?
- Recommendation from a friend. This is a great place to start. First of all you may get a better quote for the painting and decorating work. You can also check out his work. Get the low-down from a trusted source on his work. You could save some money by getting all the materials yourself.
- The Painting and Decorating Association. They have a list of registered tradesmen in the South Queensferry and Edinburgh area. They can provide you with a list of painters and decorators in and around Queensferry. Members of this are first of all vetted before they can join and usually work with only quality materials. This may be more expensive than option number 1. However it does have the advantage that in the case of a dispute, the trade association will take up your complaint.
Do You Choose Paint or Wallpaper?
Right, you now have your painter and decorator. Now you need to decide on decor. Nowadays there is a vast array of paint and wallpaper available. This is where the advice of a professional painter and decorator is invaluable. You can get advice on a everything from colour schemes, different types of wallpaper, stencils and choosing the right wall covering.
How To Arrange Your Painter and Decorator for Work
- Arrange to meet at your home.
- Have some ideas of colour schemes already. (Internet is a great resource for planning this, e.g. Pintrest)
- Explain in detail all that you want to do.
Which is the Best – Paint or Wallpaper?
Paint. There are advantages of painting: There is every colour under the sun and you can get the exact tone you want. However, the tone in the shop and in the paint pot will be slightly different from how it looks on your walls. Paint can also be great for different areas of the house – exterior walls, bathroom ceilings (which are subject to steam) and walls that are subject to wear and tear.
You can also create different effects with paint like stencilling, rag rolling, marbling or wood effect.
Expect to pay around £3 to £10 per litre for popular brands. Remember that you get the quality you pay for.
Wallpaper. Vinyl wallpapers can be washed are resistant to wear and tear. This makes them suitable for areas where there is a lot of use, like kitchens, hallways or bedrooms. The other advantage is easier to disguise defects in walls and ceilings. There are special lining papers which can do this. This can save a lot of money on a plasterer. Wallpaper prices can range from £5 to £20 per roll. They can also be ordered specially, but expect to pay more for that service. The disadvantage of wallpaper is that it’s not all that easy to put up and if it has to be removed or replaces, then it can be difficult to remove.
Good quality wallpaper should last you for around 10-15 years.
The Right Painter and Decorator
So now you know how to get the right painter and decorator. If you want to get a professional in the South Queensferry, Kirkliston and Edinburgh area, then please click here. At this link you can see his work, read recommendations and contact him direct through our site.